Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ride of our life

I have been thinking about the past a lot lately. Not because I am particularly nostalgic, but because my life keeps flashing before my eyes. This enlightening experience has been given to me by multiple auto-rickshaw drivers, but in particular this previous Saturday night's ride. Bekah and I had spent the day at a mall by ourselves (and we didn't even get lost, yay!) and decided it was time to head home. So we do the natural thing and hail an auto-rick.
(If you look in the little rear view mirror you can see us :) )

If you don't know what I am talking about see the photo below, but basically these things are a three wheel golf cart frame with a motorcycle 2-stroke engine in them. This allows them to go about 35 mph (though more if going downhill). It is fun and exciting to ride in them, sliding around the vinyl seat, feeling every bump on not such great roads, and hanging on for dear life. This last thing, hanging on for dear life, was what happened Saturday. We get in and our driver nearly hits a person getting in another rick and then laughs about it as we pull away (and the large gentleman who he nearly hit is saying not nice things in another language). And away we go.

Reflecting on it, I think this man thought he was driving a motorcycle. On numerous occasions he saw an opportunity to fit his nose in between two cars and then just wedge his way through (did I mention we are going over 30mph in an open vehicle with 7 lanes of traffic in an area marked for 3?). Needless to say Bekah was worked up. She handled it great though, barely squeezing my finger and not yelling at all. But we successfully made it through every time and I would laugh afterward because I was grateful for the time that the Lord has decided to give and to extend that time. People told us before we came that we were going to almost die here, but I didn't really realize it will probably be happening on a regular basis until tonight.

Much love- Ian

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if those things have horns or not...but if it's like many other countries in the world, the horn is used more often than the brakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about these auto-Ricks, but this sounds a little nutty. Maybe the 1st time I'm happy about the way DC cabbies drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are a couple sites I found while I was in South Asia that stoked my interest in riding in autos:

    http://rickshawchallenge.com
    http://www.pimpmyshaw.com

    Legend has it, previous interns used to try to convince auto-drivers to let them drive an auto. You can also play this game where you try to squeeze adjacent autos' bicycle horn, but both autos have to be moving in order to 'score'. Maybe you can worry less about staying alive if you're playing a game!

    ReplyDelete

We'll approve your comment as soon as we get a chance!